Monday, December 9, 2013

The Best Christmas Ever!

We have new neighbors. They have been here for a few months, but they are still new. They speak perfect English which I love, and they have a four year old that waits for Jayden to appear so she can play. 

My neighbors were deported after living in the states for more than 20 years. The wife is a citizen, but her husband is not. She got stuck joining him on this crazy adventure. 

Normally we talk about things they miss. A good church, real bathrooms, running water, electric that turns a light of when you flip the switch. Wait, electric that is reliable and only goes out when a big storm hits or something huge like that! A bit ago we began talking about Christmas. About the cost of living here, lack of income and an expense higher than what they had in California. The question of how they will celebrate the special day resonates in their heads. The yearning to have something special for an only child. The hope of being able to have a special celebration, party, or dinner. The fact is that all of this requires money. And just like most people they don't have any. 

Bad news for them, they were talking to me! Lol

I began to point out surrounding areas where the families are picking through trash to eat and survive. I reminded them of the day the garbage truck went by and the men working were eating the food found from within the garbage bags. I also shared the story of our feeding station children. 

The kids that eat at Las Brisas 1 and 2 are known to only have one hot meal a day because of our ministry. The kids are commonly know to have a dinner of a bag of chips that is so small it costs the equivalent of .05 cents. And no it isn't the same size as our lunch box chips found on the shelves in the states. These kids commonly pass through weekends without eating. This year Christmas is on a Wednesday. Our stations are closed this year on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday (Christmas Eve), and Wednesday (Christmas Day). That means our kids will only be fed by us on three days that week. It is hard to find someone who will work for minimum wage that wants to work a holiday. 

I have kids that have been asking since October if they will be able to eat or if they will get one of the Christmas Baskets we try to pass out each year. We have 120 families that look for the baskets as a means of survival during the holidays. This year, it aches me to not know if they will eat. I think about how so many families will indulge. Turkey, ham, tamales, pork legs, desserts galore, finger foods, ponche... We eat until we bust. It pains me to know that even if I give what I have and we don't celebrate in my home there will still be babies rubbing their tummies. There will still be cries of little ones that can't figure out why their headhurts and belly aches. 

I am SO grateful for every blessing in my life. I am grateful that on the days when I didn't have milk for my son and I had already given away my last grain of rice that God has always sent someone with a blessing for our family. I am grateful that last year I was blessed by someone and we finally got a Christmas tree. I am grateful that every time I have been nervous and questioned God has provided. 

Right now, I am nervous. I am concerned. I am worried about the families that don't have the necessities, yet still believe that God is God. The families that rejoice when they have nothing. The children that have needs unmet and still believe that He is their provider. I want to make sure I am doing my part. I am making their need known. I am asking. I need $3,200 for these families to each receive a basket. 120 families.  If you will give $26.70 so a family can eat on Christmas will you please send a check to:

Open Door Ministries

We are still dedicated to making sure 100% of your donation is sent to serve its designated purpose. Please write Las Brisas Christmas in the memo. 

Thank you for all of your love and support! Thank you for helping to make a difference with these children and families! Thank you for helping us make this Christmas the best one ever! 

3 comments: