Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sex For Tortillas!!!


 “Because I have hope that in her eyes, it makes a difference.” That was my reply. I didn’t know what else to say. I didn’t know how to ever make him understand. When a person asks why I do what I do, I get upset. I get nervous. I begin to feel insignificant. Unimportant. I feel dumb.

I think maybe I was stupid for letting go of a success driven life. I question if it would serve everyone better if I just left it all and began the rat race all over again. You know the race where each of you look for the next piece of cheese hoping each one you find is bigger and better than the last. In the end your pay check is full of numbers. Sometimes, I just wish I had a pay check and the size of it is really unimportant. All of these thoughts flood through my head at this moment and are followed with, “Why? Why do I do it?”

I dread the ride to IHNFA. I always dread the ride to pick up a new kid. Recently, I had the chance to meet Madeline. She is thirteen years old and has a newborn. Picking her up to take her to her new home is a reminder of all of the car rides I have had over the past few years with the kids that first come in. I get to know them. Know their past. Cry with them. Love on them. And help give them the hope of a better future. I kind of like this part, but I kind of hate it. I hate it because I never know who will get car sick and throw up all over me. (She only threw up twice.) It can be a long two hours. I hate it most because I never know what words will be filtered through my ears.  There is a part of me that cannot stand the horrid history that most of our kids bring with them. You think you have baggage because of past issues, but hear this. “My family couldn’t afford to send me to school. We had no money for food. I was sold so that my siblings could eat.”  Are you okay with that? How did that make you feel? “They were able to eat.”

My insides begin to twist and the silent grey matter yells!! They were able to eat? That makes it have value? It was worth it? How does that make it worth it?! Every day for the rest of her life you get to look at the result of a meal that was placed on the table.  What was taught to her is that her life, her body, and her value is worth a small meal! I am not talking a fine dining steak and potatoes meal. I am talking a tortilla with some beans and eggs! She has a child and she should be studying! She has a baby and she should be playing with baby dolls! She is forced to change diapers and wake up four times in the middle of the night for the next few months, but her little sister got to eat a tortilla!! I want to ask if she cried. Why did they pick you? Did it hurt? Were you scared? What infections did you get? Have you had treatment for it? Those answers, I know, will come with time.

What were you doing when you were thirteen? What did you think about? What did you dream of? How did you spend your time?

Madeline is so excited just for the chance to go to school. How would you have felt if you were thirteen and starting kindergarten? She is stoked! I would have felt like the stupid kid with the dunce hat. Not her. She doesn’t even seem to mind that she has to take care of her baby. She seems so resilient. It is amazing! So strong for being so young.

So back to the original question:
Why do I do it? Because I hope that I can change her world and give her the opportunity to have a future that is full of true love, not sexual slavery. I hope that her daughter will grow up in a functional home and learn real life values so that she can have a better future than her mom and not suffer the same abuse. I hope that there is some small chance that the backwards thinking that comes with abuse and poverty can be broken and that a new cycle will begin in her family with a new heritage that can be found in Him! I hope, that there is some sliver of a chance that Madeline will find healing, and wholeness, and purpose, and have an opportunity to make something with her life. I hope, more than anything, that she will discover hope in Him.

More importantly, I do it because I know this:

One day, it will have made a difference in her eyes.

Because from now on there is no more sex for tortillas!

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated! GREAT story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In more than 30 years of ministry I have done my share of reading Biographies, Documentaries, Research and many other resources including blogs, and I can't remember reading anything more sincere, precise and written not only from experience but from a heart obviously touched by the realities of the world we live in. This world is full of disease, pain, darkness and "death".

    I use the word "death" in describing the darkest places of life, circumstances which are so dark it actually causes some to believe "death would be better than life" God has called us to "raise the dead" which is obviously the heart of this blogger. However, "raising the dead" can be a messy job! I love the story in 1Kings 17:17-24 when Elijah "laid himself upon the DEAD boy 3 times and prayed that God would restore life" and God answered his prayer. The interesting this about this is that according to the "custom" of that day, touching a "dead" person was forbidden and would render you ceremonially "unclean". Are we afraid to "touch the unclean"?

    When I read of the abuse and mistreatment of little children who cannot defend themselves and in many cases can not decide for themselves, I realize they are in the darkest place of life (death) and I thank God there are a few who are not afraid to touch them and "RAISE THE DEAD"!!!

    The details we read can form unpleasant pictures in our abstract minds, which cautions us to monitor who has access to some details or themes which may be offensive or harmful to some, however it is unfair to the supporters and prayer warriors to withhold the "Cold True Facts" of who we are reaching and how God is raising children from the "dead" and giving them a new life in the power of "His resurrection"!

    It is a cruel world and many people can not comprehend the bondage Satan has brought into these precious lives. But greater is He that is in us!!!!!

    This ministry is actively changing lives which know nothing but cruelty and corruption. It can be messy and uncomfortable for some of us, but "raising the dead" is not always pretty. You have to lay your life upon theirs and pray that God will RESTORE!!!

    Wherever you live, and wherever you serve...

    "GO RAISE THE DEAD"!!!!!!


    Pastor Harry Nunn
    New Journey Ministries
    New Brunswick, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much! I needed that encouragement today! Pastor Harry we would love to have you come see the projects at Open Door Ministries if you are ever interested!

      Delete
    2. "Ever Interested"? lol Those plans are underway!!!

      "God Bless You" in all that you do!

      God's call to missions is "general". When we say YES, it gets "specific". He obviously has you where He wants you.

      We'll be praying for everyone involved in this mission!

      Delete